With Spring racing now in full swing and ladies busy planning their Melbourne Cup week outfits, I thought it was a great time to share a snippet from my 2019 Spring Racing Fashion Trends Report.
Each year I write a report on what is trending this Spring/Summer race season, covering topics such as popular race day brands, new season colours, trends, accessories and millinery styles.
For the extensive report, download your own copy here: www.milanoimai.com/2019-trends-report/
There is a heap of visual inspiration and examples and talks about each section listed below, in depth.
Popular Racing Fashion Brands
Dressing for the races has its own particular style. Racing fashion is tricky to define as it’s certainly not what you would wear to a night club, or to the bar, it’s not cocktail or evening wear and it’s much dressier than resort or day wear.
Race wear is classy and modest, classic with a modern twist. Tailored silhouettes are preferred, with careful styling that considers all details from the hair right down to the toenail polish.
When searching for race wear, we need brands that meet a certain set of criteria. Elements such as the right length, a unique design, a luxe fabric or stand out print, a beautiful silhouette and the right colours to make us feel like a million bucks at the track!
Here are my 4 top picks for racewear brands to shop:
- Rachel Gilbert: This brand features on-trend silhouettes, intricate hand embellishments and modern designs that ooze an air of luxury.
- Roksanda: Known for their elegant longer line dresses, stand out colour blocking, sculptural shapes and full sleeves.
- Rotate by Birger Christensen: A new brand to Myer, featuring an array of 80’s inspired dresses in simple lines and feminine shapes cut from luxurious materials.
- Acler: The Acler brand offers a range of dresses and skirts with clean tailoring, paired with volume and bold colours.
Another 6 hot brands that are trending this season can be found on the full Trends Report.
2019 Racewear Trends
Every year, new trends emerge from couture runway shows, style influencers and other sash winners. Trends are often carried from season to season, but often with a new twist.
This year, 4 trends we will see are:
- Voluminous Sleeves: Sleeves are my favourite way to spice up an outfit and big voluminous sleeves are taking centre stage this year.
- Shorter Hemlines: Shorter hemlines are finally creeping their way into the usually midi-length dominated FOTF stages. The trick to wearing a shorter hemline is to create volume in the outfit (i.e the sleeves/skirt/ higher neckline) so the short length is balanced out.
- Pleats: Pleats can create such beautiful movement, texture and dimension to an outfit. They have a lovely air of luxe about them!
- Loud prints; polka dots, stripes and big blooms: Prints will once again be popular this spring, with stripes, polka dots and big blooms stealing the scene.
For details and photo examples of these trends, as well as 7 additional racewear trends, check out the full Trends Report.
New Season Colours
I am a big believer that there are no right or wrong colours to wear in your racing outfits. You should always wear what you love and a colour that suits you and your complexion.
One fun trend coming back around in 2019 is neon colours! They are being seen on runways everywhere. Although they can be tricky to pull off, you don’t always have to rock a full neon outfit, you can accessorise with a touch of neon in your shoes, bag, millinery or accessories.